Tony Wolcott, the retiring City of Albany Arborist and active supporter of the Edible Landscape Project, will pass on to us a small portion of his wisdom about fruit trees. We’ll learn about tree pruning and other care and we’ll get the trees in the ELP pruned for the summer.
• What do we try to accomplish with summer vs. winter pruning of fruit trees?
• How does one plant a fruit tree; what is the soil preparation? When/why go with bare root vs. root ball with soil? When should one cut back a tree that is being planted? How much?
• How do you espalier? Why? When?
• What about fertilizing and/or planting other plants nearby to enrich the soil for trees?
• What are pruning principles to keep fruit within reach from the ground or a short ladder?
• What are tips to keep fruit trees healthy in public places?
• How can fruit trees be supported in a drought?
• What else do we need to know to have thriving and productive fruit trees?