Come and meet other Time Bankers and sign up for the more local Time Bank, Eastbay Area Reciprocity Network, a regional time bank affiliated with TimeBanksUSA. We are forming a local nexus built on the strength of everyone knowing each other. This orientation is a key event to getting started and we look forward to seeing you there.
What is a time bank?
A time bank is a membership organization that provides a system for people to exchange services. Services that community members would like to give and receive are posted on our community web site and the exchanges are communicated and tracked through the system. The exchange currency is time, and everyone’s time is of equal value. Those who do not have access to the internet are paired with members who help them exchange services. Here’s a background explanation from shareable.net.
Why not just volunteer?
Time banking brings out the best in people. Too often we believe the “noble” mindset that we must be self-sufficient and also help others. This undermines the dignity of many who are capable and yearning to feel valued, but seldom have the opportunity to give back. Reciprocity empowers all to contribute to the community well being.
What is special about EARN?
Our mission includes building a community to help overcome the economic and emotional hardships brought on by economic recession, loss of publicly funded services, environmental degradation, and the decline of local culture. We will incorporate strategies to create a future that is economically and environmentally sustainable.
- To facilitate service exchanges that benefit both givers and the receivers by fulfilling needs as well as honoring the value of each person’s contributions
- To provide a mentoring opportunities for teaching and learning new skills
- To re-energize caring communities, re-weave neighborhoods, and foster friendships
- To build bridges of respect between diverse individuals that remove barriers to open communication and collaborative efforts
- To grow a movement beyond time banking that will create an informed, cohesive, grass roots movement to transform the dollar economy while protecting the environment and valuing humanity